Are you interested in being a Parent Governor?
October 7, 2019
I am writing to inform you of 2 vacancies for the role of parent governor on the Linwood School governing board.
The role of the governing board
The school’s governing board, together with the Executive Headteacher, is responsible for providing confident and strategic leadership, and creating robust accountability, oversight and assurance for the school’s educational and financial performance. The board is passionate about special education and committed to continuous school improvement to ensure the best possible outcomes for all our pupils across five campuses.
The role of a parent governor
As a parent governor, you will work with the board to ensure it effectively carries out the duties referred to above. You’ll also play a vital role in ensuring that the board is connected with, and is aware of the views of, parents and the local community. The term of office is for 4 years.
To be a parent governor you should have:
- A strong commitment to the role and to improving outcomes for children and young people
- Good inter-personal skills, curiosity, and a willingness to learn and develop new skills
- The specific skills required to ensure the governing board delivers effective governance
The governing board is keen for candidates to have skills in one of the following:
- Finance and/or financial planning
- Business/project management
Expectations of governors
All new governors are expected to fulfil the following:
- Attendance at meetings – 4 full governing board meetings per year (held early evening 17.30-19.30) and 1 committee meeting per term (held Wed mornings), also other occasional meetings
- Acceptance of the Governing Board Code of Conduct, which emphasizes the importance of appropriate conduct and maintaining confidentiality, and signing to consent
- Attendance at free induction training and relevant ongoing training through their 4 year term of office
- Visits to the school and its campuses on as regular a basis as their current employment/other commitments will allow
Parents not qualified to apply for position as parent governor
The enclosed sheet summarises the circumstances under which someone cannot serve as a governor. In addition, parents/carers who have paid employment in the school for 500 or more hours per academic year or who are elected members of the Local Authority are not eligible to stand as a candidate.
How to apply
If you’re interested in applying for the role, please complete the Candidate form and the Qualifications and Disqualifications to serve as a school governor form both enclosed with this letter.
Please return the forms to Ruth Martin, Clerk to the Governing Board at Linwood Campus by Wednesday 16 October 2019. If we receive more applications than there are vacancies, a secret ballot will be carried out. We will inform you closer to the time if we have to do this.
If you have any queries about this process or would like to find out more about the role, please contact Ruth Martin on 01202 525107.